Toejam and Earl Are Making a Groovy Comeback
Toejam and Earl debuted in 1991 on the Sega Genesis as an exclusive. The game was an action video game developed by Johnson Voorsanger Productions and published by Sega. It centers on the titular ToeJam and Earl—alien rappers who have crash-landed on Earth. As they attempt to escape the planet, players assume the role of either character and collect pieces of their wrecked spacecraft. ToeJam & Earl's design was heavily influenced by the role-playing video game Rogue, and took from it such features as the random generation of levels and items. It references and parodies 1980s and early 90s urban culture and is set to a funk soundtrack.
As one of the first true multiplayer video games, it was embraced quickly and still to this day remains a gem of it's time. Sure, the gameplay was a little slower than most want, but the feelings and humor behind this game would be welcomed with open arms today, and we can not wait to see what they will bring to the table this time, with an aged game model.
Toejam and Earl: Back in the Groove was announced back in 2015 when a Kickstarter began in order to fund the project. Originally announced to release on PC platforms, with the option of it coming to consoles (PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U). The funding was finally met in August 2016, and they plan to release to game in early 2017 (a rough estimated release date). The project will be taken on by Adult Swim, who has had success with quirky games like this in the past, and it will be interesting to see if they can hold the nostalgia feel of the Sega Genesis games, while giving the gameplay a much needed improvement to appeal to the masses today.
Our Toejam and Earl Predictions:
- Toejam and Earl will utilize randomly generated levels, which has become popular in video games as of late.
- RPG elements will hold more meaning in the game this time, as opposed to the older games.
- The game will release on PC (Steam) well before (maybe 3 months) any consoles gets a hack at the game.
- Critics will bash this game into the ground, because critics hate video games! (We are not critics...we love every video game, good or bad!)
- The game will not release until quarter 2 of 2017.